Monday, January 20, 2014

Hello!
I'm Charles Rooney, and I'll be using this blog to keep a record of my research with Professor Robert Bucholz at Loyola University Chicago for this semester (Spring 2014). My project is part of a larger ongoing effort by Dr. Bucholz to compile extensive lists of the members and officials of the various royal courts in Early-Modern England. My work will focus particularly on fleshing out a few smaller sub-courts during the reign of King George I, starting with the courts of Prince George and his wife Princess Caroline, and later their son Prince Frederick and his wife Princess Augusta. My work will mostly consist, at this point, of compiling and collating information from available primary and secondary sources to try to gain a fairly complete roster of officials in the sub-courts including, when possible, the dates when these officials gained, lost, or changed their roles in the court. I'm very much looking forward to getting started on these lists; although it may turn out to be be (as Dr. Bucholz insists) dry and monotonous work, I think it will be fascinating to dig up names of long-forgotten courtiers and to piece together the details of what for many of the courtiers would have been a tremendously important experience. I'll update this blog every week with some information about the ongoing project, and whatever reflections or musings on the project, the topic, or the research experience in general may arise!
'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment